The Job Browser application lets you to examine the Hadoop MapReduce jobs running on your Hadoop cluster. Job Browser presents the job and tasks in layers. The top layer is a list of jobs, and you can link to a list of that job's tasks. You can then view a task's attempts and the properties of each attempt, such as state, start and end time, and output size. To troubleshoot failed jobs, you can also view the logs of each attempt.
Job Browser Installation and Configuration
Job Browser is one of the applications installed as part of Hue. For information about installing and configuring Hue, see Hue Installation.
Job Browser can display both MRv1 and MRv2 jobs, but must be configured to display one type at a time in the [mapred_clusters] and [yarn_clusters] sections in the Hue configuration file.
By default, a JobBrowser user can see submitted job information for all users – both his/her own jobs and those of other users. To restrict viewing of submitted jobs to the job submitter and Hue administrators, set the share_jobs property under the [jobbrowser] section in the Hue configuration file to false.
Starting Job Browser
Filtering the Job Browser List
To filter the jobs displayed in the Job Browser list:
- To filter the jobs by their state (such as Running or Completed), choose a state from the Job status drop-down menu.
- To filter by a user who ran the jobs, enter the user's name in the User Name query box.
- To filter by job name, enter the name in the Text query box.
- To clear the filters, choose All States from the Job status drop-down menu and delete any text in the User Name and Text query boxes.
- To display retired jobs, check the Show retired jobs checkbox. Retired jobs show somewhat limited information – for example, information on maps and reduces and job duration is not available. Jobs are designated as Retired by the JobTracker based on the value of mapred.jobtracker.retirejob.interval. The retired jobs no longer display after the JobTracker is restarted.
Viewing Job Information and Logs
At any level you can view the log for an object by click the icon in the Logs column.
To view job information for an individual job:
- In the Job Browser window, click View at the right of the job you want to view. This shows the Job page for the job, with the recent tasks associated with the job are displayed in the Tasks tab.
- Click the Metadata tab to view the metadata for this job.
- Click the Counters tab to view the counter metrics for the job.
To view details about the tasks associated with the job:
- In the Job window, click the View All Tasks link at the right just above the Recent Tasks list. This lists all the tasks associated with the job.
- Click Attempts to the right of a task to view the attempts for that task.
To view information about an individual task:
- In the Job window, click the View link to the right of the task. The attempts associated with the task are displayed.
- Click the Metadata tab to view metadata for this task. The metadata associated with the task is displayed.
- To view the Hadoop counters for a task, click the Counters tab. The counters associated with the task are displayed.
- To return to the Job window for this job, click the job number in the status panel at the left of the window.
To view details about a task attempt:
- In the Job Task window, click the View link to the right of the task attempt. The metadata associated with the attempt is displayed under the Metadata tab.
- To view the Hadoop counters for the task attempt, click the Counters tab. The counters associated with the attempt are displayed.
- To view the logs associated with the task attempt, click the Logs tab. The logs associated with the task attempt are displayed.
- To return to the list of tasks for the current job, click the task number in the status panel at the left of the window.