Introduction to Cloudera Manager Installation
- A small self-executing Cloudera Manager installation program to install the Cloudera Manager Server and other packages in preparation for host installation
- Cloudera Manager wizard for automating CDH installation and configuration on the cluster hosts. Cloudera Manager provides two methods for installing CDH and its associated components: traditional packages (RPMs or Debian packages) or parcels. Parcels simplify the installation process, and more importantly allows you to download, distribute, and activate new versions of CDH from within Cloudera Manager.
About the Cloudera Manager Installation Program
The Cloudera Manager installation program, which you will install on the host where you want the Cloudera Manager Server to run, automatically:
- Installs the package repositories for Cloudera Manager and the Oracle Java Development Kit (JDK) 1.6 and 1.7.
- Installs the Cloudera Manager Server
- Installs and configures an embedded PostgreSQL database for use by the Cloudera Manager Server
Installing Cloudera Manager for the First Time
- Optionally install a database application on the Cloudera Manager Server host or on a host that the Cloudera Manager Server can access, and (depending on the configuration you decide on) on other hosts as well.
- Run the Cloudera Manager installer on one host.
- Install CDH and the Cloudera Manager Agents on the other hosts.
The following illustrates a sample installation:
About the Cloudera Manager "First Run" Wizard
- Discover the hosts you specify via IP address ranges or hostnames
- Install the Cloudera Manager Agent and CDH on the hosts
- Install the Oracle JDK.
- Specify mapping of service roles to hosts
- Suggest a Hadoop configuration and start the Hadoop services
You can choose to abort the Cloudera Manager Agent and CDH installation process and the Cloudera Manager wizard automatically reverts and completely rolls back the installation process for any uninstalled components. (Installation that has completed successfully on a given host is not rolled back on that host.)
Installation Phases and Paths
Cloudera Manager supports installation using parcels, packages, and tarballs.
The following diagrams illustrates the supported install alternatives: