Introduction to Cloudera Manager Installation
- A small self-executing Cloudera Manager installation program to install the Cloudera Manager Server and other packages in preparation for host installation.
- Cloudera Manager wizard for automating CDH and managed service installation and configuration on the cluster hosts. Cloudera Manager provides two methods for installing CDH and managed services: traditional packages (RPMs or Debian packages) or parcels. Parcels simplify the installation process, and more importantly allows you to download, distribute, and activate new minor versions of CDH and managed services from within Cloudera Manager.
About the Cloudera Manager Installation Program
The Cloudera Manager installation program, which you install on the host where you want the Cloudera Manager Server to run:
- Installs the package repositories for Cloudera Manager and the Oracle Java Development Kit (JDK) 1.7
- Installs the Cloudera Manager Server
- Installs and configures an embedded PostgreSQL database for use by the Cloudera Manager Server and some Cloudera Management Service roles, Hive Metastore, and Cloudera Navigator Audit Server
Installing Cloudera Manager for the First Time
- Optionally install a database application on the Cloudera Manager Server host or on a host that the Cloudera Manager Server can access, and (depending on the configuration you decide on) on other hosts as well.
- Run the Cloudera Manager installer on one host.
- Install CDH, managed services, and Cloudera Manager Agents on the other hosts.
About the Cloudera Manager "First Run" Wizard
- Discover cluster hosts
- Optionally install the Oracle JDK.
- Optionally install CDH, managed service, and Cloudera Manager Agent software on the hosts
- Select which services to run
- Specify the mapping of service roles to hosts
- Confirm service configurations and start the services
You can choose to abort the software installation process and the Cloudera Manager wizard automatically reverts and completely rolls back the installation process for any uninstalled components. (Installation that has completed successfully on a given host is not rolled back on that host.)
Installation Phases and Paths for Cloudera Manager, CDH, and Managed Services
The six phases are grouped into three installation paths based on how Cloudera Manager and embedded database software is installed on the Cloudera Manager Server and cluster hosts. For each path you can choose to use the embedded PostgreSQL database or an external database.
- Installation Path A - Automated Installation by Cloudera Manager - You install the JDK, Cloudera Manager Server, and embedded PostgreSQL packages using an installer binary. You optionally install an external database. Cloudera Manager Agent, CDH, and managed service installation is performed by the Cloudera Manager wizard.
- Installation Path B - Manual Installation Using Cloudera Manager Packages - You manually install the JDK, Cloudera Manager Server, Cloudera Manager Agent, and embedded PostgreSQL, and optionally CDH and managed service packages, and optionally install and configure an external database. After the Cloudera Manager Server and Agents are running, you can alternatively install CDH and managed service parcels using the Cloudera Manager wizard.
- Installation Path C - Manual Installation Using Cloudera Manager Tarballs - You manually install the JDK, Cloudera Manager Server, Cloudera Manager Agent, and embedded PostgreSQL software using tarballs, and optionally install and configure an external database. After the Cloudera Manager Server and Agents are running, you install CDH and managed service parcels using the Cloudera Manager wizard.