What to Expect
Audience & Prerequisites
This course is designed for data analysts, business intelligence specialists, developers, system architects, and database administrators. Some knowledge of SQL is assumed, as is basic Linux command-line familiarity. Prior knowledge of Apache Hadoop is not required.
Upon completion of the course, attendees are encouraged to continue their study and register for the CCA Data Analyst exam. Certification is a great differentiator. It helps establish you as a leader in the field, providing employers and customers with tangible evidence of your skills and expertise.
Book the course
- How would you like to train?
- Virtual Classroom
Advance your ecosystem expertise
Apache Hive makes transformation and analysis of complex, multi-structured data scalable in Cloudera environments. Apache Impala enables real-time interactive analysis of the data stored in Hadoop using a native SQL environment. Together, they make multi-structured data accessible to analysts, database administrators, and others without Java programming expertise.
Apache Hadoop Fundamentals
- The Motivation for Hadoop
- Hadoop Overview
- Data Storage: HDFS
- Distributed Data Processing: YARN, MapReduce, and Spark
- Data Processing and Analysis: Pig, Hive, and Impala
- Database Integration: Sqoop
- Other Hadoop Data Tools
- Exercise Scenario Explanation
Introduction to Apache Hive and Impala
- What Is Hive?
- What Is Impala?
- Why Use Hive and Impala?
- Schema and Data Storage
- Comparing Hive and Impala to Traditional Databases
- Use Cases
Querying with Apache Hive and Impala
- Databases and Tables
- Basic Hive and Impala Query Language Syntax
- Data Types
- Using Hue to Execute Queries
- Using Beeline (Hive's Shell)
- Using the Impala Shell
Common Operators and Built-In Functions
- Scalar Functions
- Aggregate Functions
- Data Storage
- Creating Databases and Tables
- Loading Data
- Altering Databases and Tables
- Simplifying Queries with Views
- Storing Query Results
Data Storage and Performance
- Partitioning Tables
- Loading Data into Partitioned Tables
- When to Use Partitioning
- Choosing a File Format
- Using Avro and Parquet File Formats
Working with Multiple Datasets
- UNION and Joins
- Handling NULL Values in Joins
- Advanced Joins
Analytic Functions and Windowing
- Using Common Analytic Functions
- Other Analytic Functions
- Sliding Windows
- Complex Data with Hive
- Complex Data with Impala
- Using Regular Expressions with Hive and Impala
- Processing Text Data with SerDes in Hive
- Sentiment Analysis and n-grams
Apache Hive Optimization
- Understanding Query Performance
- Hive on Spark
Apache Impala Optimization
- How Impala Executes Queries
- Improving Impala Performance
Extending Apache Hive and Impala
- Custom SerDes and File Formats in Hive
- Data Transformation with Custom Scripts in Hive
- User-Defined Functions
- Parameterized Queries
Choosing the Best Tool for the Job
- Comparing Hive, Impala, and Relational Databases
- Which to Choose?
Data Analyst Certification
Data Analyst Training is a useful precursor to the Cloudera Certified Data Analyst (CCA Data Analyst) exam. Certification is a great differentiator; it helps establish you as a leader in the field, providing employers and customers with tangible evidence of your skills and expertise.
Advance your career
Big data analysts are among the world's most in-demand and highly-compensated technical roles. Check out some of the job opportunities currently listed that match the professional profile, many of which seek experience with Impala, Hive, and Pig.
We also provide private training at your site, at your pace, and tailored to your needs.