Using an External Database for Cloudera Manager and CDH
By default, Altus Director configures Cloudera Manager and CDH services, such as Hive, to use the Cloudera Manager embedded PostgreSQL database. You can use Altus Director to configure them to use external database servers, instead, which is recommended for production environments. If you have a database server already configured, you can configure Cloudera Manager and CDH services to create or use databases on that server. You can also configure Altus Director to use a cloud provider service such as Amazon’s Relational Database Service (RDS) to provision new database servers.
You can also configure Cloudera Manager and CDH services to use Amazon Elastic Block Store (EBS) volumes, as described in Using EBS Volumes for Cloudera Manager and CDH.
- Altus Director client - Configure external databases in the cluster.conf file and launch Altus Director client by issuing the bootstrap-remote command.
- Altus Director server - Configure external databases for Altus Director server in one of the following ways:
- Using the Altus Director web UI
- Using the Altus Director REST API
- By editing the cluster.conf file and launching the Altus Director server with the bootstrap-remote command
The topics in this section describe how to use Altus Director to define external database servers and external databases.