Upgrading the Cloudera Navigator Data Management Component
Cloudera Manager Required Role: Full Administrator
The Cloudera Navigator Data Management component is upgraded automatically during the Cloudera Manager upgrade process. The component is not supported on Cloudera Express. It requires a Cloudera Enterprise license. See Managing Licenses for details about upgrading from trial licenses or Cloudera Express to Cloudera Enterprise.
Before Upgrading the Cluster
- Review the Cloudera Navigator product compatibility matrix and confirm the compatibility of the Cloudera Navigator version and the Cloudera Manager version for the upgrade.
- Review the Cloudera Navigator release notes, especially upgrade issues and limitations before upgrading.
- Use the Purge capability provided in Cloudera Navigator 2.9 (and higher) to avoid out-of-memory errors during the upgrade process. See Avoiding Out-of-Memory Errors During an Upgrade for details.
Avoiding Out-of-Memory Errors During an Upgrade
- Run the purge command before upgrading, or
- Temporarily increase available JVM memory to 31 GB (but not more). Increasing JVM memory decreases available OS RAM, which is also needed for the upgrade, so give the JVM 31 GB max for the upgrade.
See Navigator Metadata Server Tuning for more information.
Upgrading Cloudera Navigator
- Before upgrading Cloudera Navigator 2.6 (or lower) to a higher release, you must:
- Stop the Navigator Metadata Server role.
- Back up the Navigator Metadata Server storage directory.
- Ensure the Navigator Metadata Server has sufficient memory to complete the upgrade.
- For systems using an Oracle database, grant additional privileges to the nav (or appropriate user name for the Navigator Audit Server). Log in to the
database using SQL*Plus and run the following:
GRANT EXECUTE ON sys.dbms_crypto TO nav; GRANT CREATE VIEW TO nav;
- Upgrade Cloudera Manager, following the steps in Cloudera Upgrade Overview.
- To upgrade from Cloudera Navigator 2.6 (and lower), log in to the Cloudera Navigator console. The Upgrading Navigator page displays. Depending on the amount of data in the Navigator Metadata Server storage directory, the upgrade process can take 3–4 hours or longer.
- When the upgrade is complete, click Continue. The Cloudera Navigator console displays.