Communications Service Providers Deploy Cloudera Enterprise to Improve Customer Experience, Optimize Networks, Perform Operational Analytics, and Monetize Data
PALO ALTO, Calif. – February 18, 2016: The telecommunications sector has been an early adopter of Apache Hadoop, with many large global organizations implementing the technology well before it was ubiquitous in the mainstream. That trend shows no sign of slowing, and Cloudera, the global provider of the fastest, easiest, and most secure data management and analytics platform built on Hadoop and the latest open source technologies, reports seeing significant global traction in the sector, both in terms of customer deployments and with partners building solutions on top of the modern data platform.
More than 70 leading global telecommunications organizations such as British Telecom (BT), SFR, True Corporation, and Telkomsel have demonstrated the business value that can be achieved with Cloudera Enterprise, primarily in four key areas:
- Customer insights or “customer 360”: For today’s telcos, improving and optimizing the customer experience is key to maintaining market differentiation and driving down churn. Communications service providers (CSPs) are leveraging Cloudera Enterprise to gain a true 360-degree view of customers across all of the systems, products, and diverse interaction channels that in turn allow telcos to perform targeted micro-segmentation of their consumer base, develop personalized offer recommendations, deliver proactive customer care, and predict and prevent churn.
- Network optimization: To keep up with the explosive growth in mobile data, CSPs need to continue investing in their networks, pumping as much as 18 percent of annual revenues into CAPEX. Network capacity is a highly valuable resource; telcos are leveraging big data analytics to monitor and manage network capacity, build predictive capacity models, and prioritize and plan network expansions.
- Operational analytics: Telcos are deploying Cloudera Enterprise to drive internal efficiencies, process improvements, and cost savings around their core operations; for example, to plug and minimize revenue leakage, drive down fraud, manage network and cybersecurity, lower order-to-activation lead-times, and proactively fix customer issues to minimize truck rolls.
- Data monetization: CSPs are uniquely advantaged by the volumes and variety of data sources they have access to, such as subscriber demographics, location, network usage, device, application usage, preferences, and more. They are using Hadoop-based solutions to mine, model, aggregate, and anonymize these datasets in order to monetize them and create powerful statistics that are valuable to other businesses and verticals.
- Further, Cloudera has formed strategic agreements with partners who are delivering analytics solutions specifically built for the telco market, such as the real-time telco fraud solution announced this week, built in partnership with Argyle Data. Other organizations partnering with Cloudera in the telco space include Alcatel-Lucent, Amdocs, Centurylink, Deutsche Telekom subsidiary T-Systems, Nokia, Tektronix, and Xura (formerly Comverse).
“Hadoop is emerging as the data platform of choice for CSPs, and Cloudera enables them to take advantage of all their data by making Hadoop fast, easy, and secure,” said Vijay Raja, solutions marketing lead for telecommunications at Cloudera. “It’s exciting to see how CSPs are innovating with Cloudera Enterprise and driving value as a result -- reducing infrastructure costs, preventing customer churn, driving down fraud, and unearthing new competitive advantages.”
In just one year of working with Cloudera, BT has been able to process five times more customer data and achieve a velocity increase of a factor of 15. According to Phillip Radley, chief data architect at BT, “The data cycle now takes eight hours instead of 24, and we process five times the amount of data.”
Metra C. Utama, vice president of IT Planning at Telkomsel said, “One of the first use cases we looked at was storing xDR data for longer data retention. With 100 percent data growth annually, Hadoop is the best option to offload the data from the EDW. We’re looking forward to the next phase of adoption of our Cloudera environment, which will drive new analytical insights.”
“We are in the midst of implementing the ‘360-degree customer view’ on Cloudera,” said Dr. Rujikorn Pavasuthipaisit, head of Strategic Project Development and Research, True. “In 2016, we will also build in-database and in-memory analytics capabilities on the platform, and will integrate Cloudera with our campaign management system to execute real-time, trigger-based campaigns and to sharpen our data monetization strategy.”
Meet with Cloudera at Mobile World Congress:
- Visit Cloudera Booth #6M30 in Hall 6.
- Attend the session: Network Security, featuring Eddie Garcia, chief security architect, Cloudera. This session will take place from 11:00AM to 12:00PM on Wednesday, February 24 in Hall 4, Auditorium 4.
- Attend the session: Data Monetisation: Capturing the MNO Revenue Opportunity, featuring Matt Beal, director of Innovation and Architecture, Vodafone Group. This session will take place from 3:15PM to 4:15PM on Tuesday, February 23 in Hall 4, Auditorium 3.
Learn more about why leading global telecommunications companies rely on Cloudera: cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/solutions/industries/telecommunications.html
Cloudera delivers the modern data management and analytics platform built on Apache Hadoop and the latest open source technologies. The world’s leading organizations trust Cloudera to help solve their most challenging business problems with Cloudera Enterprise, the fastest, easiest and most secure data platform available for the modern world. Our customers efficiently capture, store, process and analyze vast amounts of data, empowering them to use advanced analytics to drive business decisions quickly, flexibly and at lower cost than has been possible before. To ensure our customers are successful, we offer comprehensive support, training and professional services. Learn more at cloudera.com.
Connect with Cloudera
About Cloudera: cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/about/company-profile.html
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/cloudera
Visit us on Facebook: facebook.com/cloudera
Join the Cloudera Community: community.cloudera.com
Cloudera, Cloudera’s Platform for Big Data, Cloudera Enterprise Data Hub Edition, Cloudera Enterprise Flex Edition, Cloudera Enterprise Basic Edition and CDH are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cloudera Inc. in the United States, and in jurisdictions throughout the world. All other company and product names may be trade names or trademarks of their respective owners.