New to Hadoop
Knowing where to start can be difficult, but this curated list of resources will help.
1. Get the Background
Getting a bit of background information first is always a good idea.
- Video Series: Hadoop Essentials
- Tom White's "How to Hadoop" series in Dr. Dobb's
- Why Apache Spark is a "delight for developers"
- Cloudera Glossary
CDH is Cloudera's 100% open-source, enterprise-ready distro of Apache Hadoop and related projects. Install it directly for the best Hadoop experience, or test-drive it on demand via Cloudera Live, or in a VM, first.
- Explore CDH components (project homepages, docs, blogs, Q&A, downloads)
- Try Cloudera Live - Hadoop on demand
- Download the QuickStart VM
It's the quickest way to become dangerous.
- See the "Getting Started with Hadoop" Tutorial
- See Popular How-to's
- See All How-to's
- See Online Learning
When "being dangerous" isn't good enough, it's time to train with Cloudera University.
Reading books, or at least keeping them around for reference, is the best way to progressively deepen your knowledge.
- Hadoop, The Definitive Guide - by Tom White
- Hadoop Operations - by Eric Sammer
- HBase, The Definitive Guide - by Lars George
- Apache Sqoop Cookbook - by Kathleen Ting & Jarek Cecho
- HBase in Action - by Nick Dimiduk & Amandeep Khurana
- Getting Started with Impala - by John Russell
Make an impact on the quality and direction of the Hadoop stack - by reporting bugs and/or becoming an active contributor to a project.
- See the How to Contribute page