Cloudera QuickStart VM
This guide describes how to download and use QuickStart virtual machines (VMs), which provide everything you need to try CDH, Cloudera Manager, Impala, and Cloudera Search.
The VM uses a package-based install, which allows you to work with or without Cloudera Manager. Parcels do not work with the VM unless you first migrate your CDH installation to use parcels. On production systems, Cloudera recommends that you use parcels.
- These 64-bit VMs require a 64-bit host OS and a virtualization product that can support a 64-bit guest OS.
- To use a VMware VM, you must use a player compatible with WorkStation 8.x or higher:
- Player 4.x or higher
- Fusion 4.x or higher
You can use older versions of WorkStation to create a new VM using the same virtual disk (VMDK file), but some features in VMware Tools are not available.
- The amount of RAM required varies by the runtime option you choose:
CDH and Cloudera Manager Version RAM Required by VM CDH 5 (default) 4+ GiB* Cloudera Express 8+ GiB* Cloudera Enterprise (trial) 12+ GiB*
*Minimum recommended memory. If you are running workloads larger than the examples provided, consider allocating additional memory.
Downloading a Cloudera QuickStart VM
Cloudera QuickStart VMs are available as Zip archives in VMware, KVM, and VirtualBox formats. Cloudera recommends that you use 7-Zip to extract these files. (7-Zip performs well with large files.) To download the latest VM in the required format, see Cloudera QuickStart VM Download.
For information about using the products installed with the VM, see QuickStart VM Software Versions and Documentation.
- QuickStart VM Software Versions and Documentation
- QuickStart VM Administrative Information
- Cloudera Docker Container