Before You Install CDH 5 on a Cluster
Before you install CDH 5 on a cluster, there are some important steps you need to do to prepare your system:
- Verify you are using a supported operating system for CDH 5. See CDH and Cloudera Manager Supported Operating Systems.
- If you haven't already done so, install the Oracle Java Development Kit. For instructions and recommendations, see Java Development Kit Installation.
Note the following differences between MRv1 (MapReduce) and MRv2 (YARN).
- MRv1 (MapReduce v1):
- Cloudera Manager and CDH 5 set the default to FIFO.
- MRv2 (YARN):
- Cloudera Manager and CDH 5 set the default to Fair Scheduler.
In CDH 5, you can configure high availability both for the NameNode and the JobTracker or ResourceManager.
- For more information and instructions on setting up a new HA configuration, see High Availability.