Creating and Using a Remote Parcel Repository for Cloudera Manager
After completing these steps, you have established the environment required to install a previous version of Cloudera Manager or install Cloudera Manager to hosts that are not connected to the Internet. Proceed with the installation process, being sure to target the newly created repository.
Creating a Permanent Remote Repository
Installing a Web Server
The repository is typically hosted using HTTP on a host inside your network. If you already have a web server in your organization, you can move the repository directory, which will include both the RPMs and the repodata/ subdirectory, to a location hosted by the web server. An easy web server to install is the Apache HTTPD. If you are able to use an existing web server, then note the URL and skip to Downloading the Parcel and Publishing Files.
Installing Apache HTTPD
[root@localhost yum.repos.d]$ yum install httpd
[root@localhost zypp]$ zypper install httpd
|Ubuntu or Debian||
[root@localhost apt]$ apt-get install httpd
Downloading the Parcel and Publishing Files
- Download the parcel and manifest.json files for your OS distribution from
- CDH 4
- CDH - https://archive.cloudera.com/cdh4/parcels/
- Impala - https://archive.cloudera.com/impala/parcels/
- Search https://archive.cloudera.com/search/parcels/
- Spark - https://archive.cloudera.com/spark/parcels/
- GPL Extras - https://archive.cloudera.com/gplextras/parcels/
- CDH 5 - Impala, Spark, and Search are included in the CDH parcel.
- CDH - https://archive.cloudera.com/cdh5/parcels/
- GPL Extras - https://archive.cloudera.com/gplextras5/parcels/
- Key Trustee Server
- Go to the Key Trustee Server download page. Select Parcels from the Package or Parcel drop-down menu, and click DOWNLOAD NOW. This downloads the Key Trustee Server parcels and manifest.json files in a .tar.gz file. Extract the files with the tar xvfz filename.tar.gz command.
- Key Trustee KMS
- Go to the Key Trustee KMS download page. Select Parcels from the Package or Parcel drop-down menu, and click DOWNLOAD NOW. This downloads the Key Trustee KMS parcels and manifest.json files in a .tar.gz file. Extract the files with the tar xvfz filename.tar.gz command.
- Other services
- Accumulo - https://archive.cloudera.com/accumulo/parcels/
- Sqoop connectors - https://archive.cloudera.com/sqoop-connectors/parcels/
- CDH 4
- Move the .parcel and manifest.json files to the web server directory, and modify file permissions. For example, you might
use the following commands:
[root@localhost tmp]$ mkdir /var/www/html/cdh4.6 [root@localhost tmp]$ mv CDH-4.6.0-1.cdh4.6.0.p0.26-lucid.parcel /var/www/html/cdh4.6 [root@localhost tmp]$ mv manifest.json /var/www/html/cdh4.6 [root@localhost tmp]$ chmod -R ugo+rX /var/www/html/cdh4.6After moving the files and changing permissions, visit http://hostname:80/cdh4.6/ to verify that you can access the parcel. Apache may have been configured to not show indexes, which is also acceptable.
Creating a Temporary Remote Repository
You can quickly create a temporary local repository to deploy a parcel once. It is convenient to perform this on the same host that runs Cloudera Manager, or a gateway role. In this example,python SimpleHTTPServer is used from a directory of your choosing.
- Download the patched .parcel and manifest.json files as provided in a secure link from Cloudera Support.
- Copy the .parcel and manifest.json files to a location of your choosing on your server. This is the directory
from which the python SimpleHTTPServer will serve the files. For example:
$ mkdir /tmp/parcel $ cp /home/user/Downloads/patchparcel/CDH-4.6.0.p234.parcel /tmp/parcel/ $ cp /home/user/Downloads/patchparcel/manifest.json /tmp/parcel/
- Determine a port that your system is not listening on (for example, port 8900).
- Change to the directory containing the .parcel and manifest.json files.
$ cd /tmp/parcel
- Start a python SimpleHTTPServer to host these two files:
$ python -m SimpleHTTPServer 8900 Serving HTTP on 0.0.0.0 port 8900 ...
- Confirm you can get to this hosted parcel directory by going to http://server:8900 in your browser. You should see links for the hosted files.
Configuring the Cloudera Manager Server to Use the Parcel URL
- Use one of the following methods to open the parcel settings page:
- Navigation bar
- Click in the top navigation bar or click Hosts and click the Parcels tab.
- Click the Configuration button.
- Select .
- Select .
- Navigation bar
- In the Remote Parcel Repository URLs list, click to open an additional row.
- Enter the path to the parcel. For example, http://hostname:port/cdh4.6/.
- Click Save Changes to commit the changes.