Cloudera Navigator 2 Overview
Cloudera Navigator is a fully integrated data management and security tool for the Hadoop platform. Data management and security capabilities are critical for enterprise customers that are in highly regulated industries and have stringent compliance requirements.
- Auditing data access and verifying access privileges - The goal of auditing is to capture a complete and immutable record of all
activity within a system. While Hadoop has historically lacked centralized cross-component audit capabilities, products such as Cloudera Navigator add secured, real-time audit components to key data
and access frameworks. Cloudera Navigator allows administrators to configure, collect, and view audit events, to understand who accessed what data and how. Cloudera Navigator also allows
administrators to generate reports that list the HDFS access permissions granted to groups.
Cloudera Navigator tracks access permissions and actual accesses to all entities in HDFS, Hive, HBase, Impala, Sentry, and Solr, and the Cloudera Navigator Metadata Server itself to help answer questions such as - who has access to which entities, which entities were accessed by a user, when was an entity accessed and by whom, what entities were accessed using a service, which device was used to access, and so on. Cloudera Navigator auditing supports tracking access to:
- HDFS entities accessed by HDFS, Hive, HBase, Impala, and Solr services
- HBase and Impala
- Hive metadata
- Cloudera Navigator Metadata Server
- Searching metadata and visualizing lineage - Cloudera Navigator metadata management features allow DBAs, data modelers, business
analysts, and data scientists to search for, amend the properties of, and tag data entities.
In addition, to satisfy risk and compliance audits and data retention policies, it supports the ability to answer questions such as: where did the data come from, where is it used, and what are the consequences of purging or modifying a set of data entities. Cloudera Navigator supports tracking the lineage of HDFS files, datasets, and directories, Hive tables and columns, MapReduce and YARN jobs, Hive queries, Impala queries, Pig scripts, Oozie workflows, Spark jobs, and Sqoop jobs.
- Securing data and simplifying storage and management of encryption keys - Data encryption and key management provide a critical layer of
protection against potential threats by malicious actors on the network or in the data center. It is also a requirement for meeting key compliance initiatives and ensuring the integrity of your
The following Cloudera Navigator components enable compliance initiatives that require at-rest data encryption and key management:
- Cloudera Navigator Key Trustee Server is an enterprise-grade virtual safe-deposit box that stores and manages cryptographic keys and other security artifacts.
- Cloudera Navigator Key HSM allows Cloudera Navigator Key Trustee Server to seamlessly integrate with a hardware security module (HSM).
- Cloudera Navigator Encrypt transparently encrypts and secures data at rest without requiring changes to your applications and ensures there is minimal performance lag in the encryption or decryption process.
- Installing the Cloudera Navigator Data Management Component
- Upgrading the Cloudera Navigator Data Management Component
- Cloudera Navigator Data Management Component Administration
- Cloudera Data Management
- Configuring Authentication in the Cloudera Navigator Data Management Component
- Configuring SSL for the Cloudera Navigator Data Management Component
- Cloudera Navigator Data Management Component User Roles