Long term component architecture
As the main curator of open standards in Hadoop, Cloudera has a track record of bringing new open source solutions into its platform (such as Apache Spark, Apache HBase, and Apache Parquet) that are eventually adopted by the community at large. As standards, you can build longterm architecture on these components with confidence.
With the exception of DSSD support, Cloudera Enterprise 5.6.0 is identical to CDH 5.5.2/Cloudera Manager 5.5.3 If you do not need DSSD support, you do not need to upgrade if you are already using the latest 5.5.x release.
- System Requirements
- What's New
- Supported Operating Systems
- Supported Databases
- Supported JDK Versions
- Supported Internet Protocol
Supported Operating Systems
CDH 5 provides packages for Red-Hat-compatible, SLES, Ubuntu, and Debian systems as described below.
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL)-compatible|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux||5.7||64-bit|
|6.4 in SE Linux mode||64-bit|
|6.4 in SE Linux mode||64-bit|
|Oracle Linux with default kernel and Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel||5.6 (UEK R2)||64-bit|
|6.4 (UEK R2)||64-bit|
|6.5 (UEK R2, UEK R3)||64-bit|
|SLES Linux Enterprise Server (SLES)||11 with Service Pack 2 or later||64-bit|
|Ubuntu||Precise (12.04) - Long-Term Support (LTS)||64-bit|
|Trusty (14.04) - Long-Term Support (LTS)||64-bit|
|Debian||Wheezy (7.0, 7.1)||64-bit|
- CDH 5 provides only 64-bit packages.
- Cloudera has received reports that our RPMs work well on Fedora, but we have not tested this.
- If you are using an operating system that is not supported by Cloudera packages, you can also download source tarballs from Downloads.
|Component||MySQL||SQLite||PostgreSQL||Oracle||Derby - see Note 4|
|Oozie||5.5, 5.6||-||8.4, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3
See Note 2
|Flume||-||-||-||-||Default (for the JDBC Channel only)|
See Note 1
|Default||8.4, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3
See Note 2
See Note 1
|-||8.4, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3
See Note 2
See Note 1
|-||8.4, 9.1, 9.2,, 9.3
See Note 2
|Sqoop 1||See Note 3||-||See Note 3||See Note 3||-|
|Sqoop 2||See Note 4||-||See Note 4||See Note 4||Default|
- MySQL 5.5 is supported on CDH 5.1. MySQL 5.6 is supported on CDH 5.1 and later.
- PostgreSQL 9.2 is supported on CDH 5.1 and later. PostgreSQL 9.3 is supported on CDH 5.2 and later.
- For the purposes of transferring data only, Sqoop 1 supports MySQL 5.0 and above, PostgreSQL 8.4 and above, Oracle 10.2 and above, Teradata 13.10 and above, and Netezza TwinFin 5.0 and above. The Sqoop metastore works only with HSQLDB (1.8.0 and higher 1.x versions; the metastore does not work with any HSQLDB 2.x versions).
- Sqoop 2 can transfer data to and from MySQL 5.0 and above, PostgreSQL 8.4 and above, Oracle 10.2 and above, and Microsoft SQL Server 2012 and above. The Sqoop 2 repository database is supported only on Derby.
- Derby is supported as shown in the table, but not always recommended. See the pages for individual components in the Cloudera Installation and Upgrade guide for recommendations.
Supported JDK Versions
CDH 5 is supported with the versions shown in the table that follows.
Table 1. Supported JDK Versions
|Latest Certified Version||Minimum Supported Version||Exceptions|
Supported Internet Protocol
Known Issues Fixed in CDH 5.3.6
This is a maintenance release that fixes the following issues:
- CRUNCH-516 - Scrunch needs some additional null checks
- CRUNCH-508 - Improve performance of Scala Enumeration counters in Scrunch
- CRUNCH-514 - AvroDerivedDeepCopier should initialize delegate MapFns
- CRUNCH-530 - Fix object reuse bug in GenericRecordToTuple
- HADOOP-12158 - Improve error message in TestCryptoStreamsWithOpensslAesCtrCryptoCodec when OpenSSL is not installed
- HADOOP-11711 - Provide a default value for AES/CTR/NoPadding CryptoCodec classes
- HADOOP-12103 - Small refactoring of DelegationTokenAuthenticationFilter to allow code sharing
- HADOOP-8151 - Error handling in snappy decompressor throws invalid exceptions
- HADOOP-11969 - ThreadLocal initialization in several classes is not thread safe
- HDFS-7443 - Datanode upgrade to BLOCKID_BASED_LAYOUT fails if duplicate block files are present in the same volume
- HDFS-8337 - Accessing httpfs via webhdfs doesn't work from a jar with kerberos
- HDFS-7546 - Document, and set an accepting default for dfs.namenode.kerberos.principal.pattern
- HDFS-8656 - Preserve compatibility of ClientProtocol#rollingUpgrade after finalization
- HDFS-7894 - Rolling upgrade readiness is not updated in jmx until query command is issued.
- HDFS-8127 - NameNode Failover during HA upgrade can cause DataNode to finalize upgrade
- HDFS-3443 - Fix NPE when namenode transition to active during startup by adding checkNNStartup() in NameNodeRpcServer
- YARN-3143 - RM Apps REST API can return NPE or entries missing id and other fields
- HBASE-13995 - ServerName is not fully case insensitive
- HBASE-13430 - HFiles that are in use by a table cloned from a snapshot may be deleted when that snapshot is deleted
- HBASE-12539 - HFileLinkCleaner logs are uselessly noisy
- HBASE-11898 - CoprocessorHost.Environment should cache class loader instance
- HBASE-13826 - Unable to create table when group acls are appropriately set.
- HBASE-13241 - Add tests for group level grants
- HBASE-13239 - HBase grant at specific column level does not work for Groups
- HBASE-13789 - ForeignException should not be sent to the client
- HBASE-13779 - Calling table.exists() before table.get() end up with an empty Result
- HBASE-13780 - Default to 700 for HDFS root dir permissions for secure deployments
- HBASE-13768 - ZooKeeper znodes are bootstrapped with insecure ACLs in a secure configuration
- HBASE-13767 - Allow ZKAclReset to set and not just clear ZK ACLs
- HBASE-13086 - Show ZK root node on Master WebUI
- HBASE-13342 - Fix incorrect interface annotations
- HBASE-13162 - Add capability for cleaning hbase acls to hbase cleanup script.
- HBASE-12641 - Grant all permissions of hbase zookeeper node to hbase superuser in a secure cluster
- HBASE-12414 - Move HFileLink.exists() to base class
- HIVE-11150 - Remove wrong warning message related to chgrp
- HIVE-8318 - Null Scan optimizer throws exception when no partitions are selected
- HIVE-7385 - Optimize for empty relation scans
- HIVE-7299 - Enable metadata only optimization on Tez
- HIVE-10808 - Inner join on Null throwing Cast Exception
- HIVE-9087 - The move task does not handle properly in the case of loading data from the local file system path.
- HIVE-9325 - Handle the case of insert overwrite statement with a qualified path that the destination path does not have a schema.
- HIVE-9349 - Remove the schema in the getQualifiedPathWithoutSchemeAndAuthority method
- HIVE-9328 - Tests cannot move files due to change on HIVE-9325
- HIVE-6024 - Load data local inpath unnecessarily creates a copy task
- HIVE-10841 - [WHERE col is not null] does not work sometimes for queries with many JOIN statements
- HIVE-9620 - Cannot retrieve column statistics using HMS API if column name contains uppercase characters
- HIVE-8863 - Cannot drop table with uppercase name after "compute statistics for columns"
- HIVE-10629 - Dropping table in an encrypted zone does not drop warehouse directory
- HIVE-10630 - Renaming tables across encryption zones renames table even though the operation throws error
- HIVE-10956 - HS2 leaks HMS connections
- HIVE-8298 - Incorrect results for n-way join when join expressions are not in same order across joins
- HIVE-8895 - bugs in mergejoin
- HIVE-10771 - "separatorChar" has no effect in "CREATE TABLE AS SELECT" statement
- HIVE-6679 - HiveServer2 should support configurable the server side socket timeout and keepalive for various transports types where applicable
- HIVE-10732 - Hive JDBC driver does not close operation for metadata queries
- HIVE-7027 - Hive job fails when referencing a view that explodes an array
- IMPALA-1774 - Allow querying Parquet tables with complex-typed columns as long as those columns are not selected
- IMPALA-1919 - Avoid calling ProcessBatch with out_batch->AtCapacity in right joins
- IMPALA-2002 - Provide way to cache ext data source classes
- IMPALA-1726 - Move JNI / Thrift utilities to separate header
- HUE-2813 - [hive] Report when Hue server is down when trying to execute a query
- HUE-2243 - [metastore] Listing tables can be very slow
- OOZIE-1944 - Recursive variable resolution broken when same parameter name in config-default and action conf
- PIG-4053 - TestMRCompiler succeeded with sun jdk 1.6 while failed with sun jdk 1.7
- SENTRY-721 - HDFS Cascading permissions not applied to child file ACLs if a direct grant exists
- SENTRY-699 - Memory leak when running Sentry w/ HiveServer2
- SOLR-6146 - Leak in CloudSolrServer causing "Too many open files"
- SOLR-7503 - Recovery after ZK session expiration happens in a single thread for all cores in a node
Want to Get Involved or Learn More?
Check out our other resources
Receive expert Hadoop training through Cloudera University, the industry's only truly dynamic Hadoop training curriculum that’s updated regularly to reflect the state of the art in big data.