Company Extends Category Leadership With Public Beta Release of CDH 5 and Cloudera Enterprise 5; Unveils Industry's First Enterprise Data Hub and Analysis Platform
PALO ALTO, CA and NEW YORK, NY--(Marketwired - Oct 29, 2013) - From Strata + Hadoop World: Cloudera, the leader in enterprise analytic data management powered by Apache Hadoop™, today unveiled the fifth generation of its Platform for Big Data, Cloudera Enterprise, which is now available for public beta. The new product release, powered by Apache Hadoop 2, offers unique features and advancements that simplify storing, processing, analyzing and managing large structured and unstructured datasets, while offering increased security, robust data management and tight integration with third-party applications. The combination of innovative updates to CDH (Cloudera's Distribution Including Apache Hadoop) at the core -- plus enhancements to Cloudera Manager for Hadoop system administration and Cloudera Navigator for Hadoop audit and access control, data discovery and lineage analysis -- together deliver the industry's first Enterprise Data Hub.
"With Cloudera Enterprise 5, Cloudera has taken several important steps toward realizing its vision to transform Hadoop into an enterprise data hub for analytics," said Tony Baer, Principal Analyst for Ovum. "Adding support for in-memory data tiering and user-defined functions are essential for delivering the kind of performance that enterprises expect from their analytic data platforms."
Rethink Data: Introducing the Enterprise Data Hub
Organizations currently employ a variety of systems to support their diverse data hub goals: data warehouses for operational reporting; storage systems to keep data available and safe; specialized massively-parallel databases for large-scale analytics; and search systems for finding and exploring documents. While these systems are suitable for traditional data and workloads, they are not equipped to handle today's exponential growth in data volume and variety, or the range of users who seek insights from that data. And because each system is purpose-built for a particular class of data and workload, no single system can provide unified access to all relevant information to diverse business users. A new hybrid approach is required, which pragmatically extends the value of existing investments while enabling fundamentally new ways of delivering value from data.
The objective is simple: Acquire and combine any amount or type of data in its original fidelity, in one place, for as long as is necessary, and deliver insights to all kinds of users, as fast as possible. And do so with maximum efficiency of capital and resources.
The solution? The Enterprise Data Hub. One place to store and work with all data, with the flexibility to run a variety of enterprise workloads -- including batch processing, interactive SQL, enterprise search and advanced analytics -- together with the integrations to existing systems, robust security, governance, data protection, and management that enterprises require. The Enterprise Data Hub is the emerging and necessary center of enterprise data management, complementing existing infrastructure.
Cloudera Enterprise 5: Next Generation Platform for Big Data powered by Apache Hadoop
Built for the demanding requirements of enterprise customers, Cloudera Enterprise enables companies to store, process and analyze unlimited amounts of data and applications from a single system. The newest innovations in Cloudera Enterprise 5 offer customers a significant leap forward in the evolution of the platform, which can now be used to efficiently address an even wider range of business problems. Customers can now use Cloudera to easily handle the rapidly increasing data volume and variety they face, absorbing a growing share of data and workloads from legacy infrastructure while optimizing the efficiency of those existing systems.
Cloudera Enterprise 5 offers a single platform from which organizations can tackle diverse critical business problems:
- Automatically archiving the complete set of enterprise data to meet compliance requirements while retaining queryable access;
- Complementing data warehouses to offload data and workloads to help customers increase efficiency and manage costs, while delivering faster ETL/ELT data processing at scale;
- Supporting business intelligence, through familiar tools, on more data and more kinds of data than ever before possible;
- Enabling and consolidating enterprise search on data and documents in-place within the single environment; and
- Accelerating a diverse array of advanced analytics solutions, like recommendation engines, fraud detection or image processing.
Increasingly, strategic partners like Informatica are certifying reference architectures to bring these benefits to joint customers. For example, Informatica and Cloudera together provide a "Data Warehouse Optimization" solution to address the challenges facing traditional data warehouse infrastructures, where capacity is too quickly consumed by increasing data volumes, leading to performance bottlenecks and costly upgrades.
Key advances in Cloudera Enterprise 5 include:
- In-Memory HDFS Caching: Datasets from HDFS can now be cached in-memory, boosting MapReduce data processing performance and Cloudera Impala's analytic query response times for even faster time to insight.
- User-Defined Functions (UDFs): Customers can now use the custom query functions they depend on in conjunction with Cloudera Impala to deliver the business insights they require. They can also take advantage of the popular open source MADlib library of pre-built statistical and analytic functions to enable scalable in-database analytics.
- Resource Management: Cloudera Enterprise now delivers advanced resource management for running multiple frameworks for data processing and analysis on a single cluster through the powerful combination of Hadoop YARN (Yet Another Resource Negotiator) and Cloudera Manager. For the first time, administrators can allocate resources not only by workload, but by workgroup, ensuring the best combination of performance and utilization. For example, customers can dedicate 50% of capacity for IT to run mission critical data processing jobs, 30% to the marketing team for ad-hoc BI queries, and so on.
- Unified Management of Third Party Applications. Cloudera Manager now provides extensibility to enable customers to deploy, manage and monitor products from Cloudera partners such as SAS, Revolution Analytics, Syncsort and many more. Now, customers can manage complex clustered environments from within a single, intuitive interface.
Comprehensive Data Management
- Manage and Explore Big Data. In addition to enabling centralized data auditing for Hadoop, Cloudera Navigator now provides:
- Data Discovery: Analysts and data modelers can search, explore, define and tag datasets through the Cloudera Navigator interface, to help identify relevant information for downstream analysis or processing.
- Data Lineage: As the amount of data in Cloudera Enterprise grows, so does the importance of understanding how that data is used across the organization. Cloudera Navigator delivers the industry's first data lineage solution for Hadoop, enabling customers to meet regulatory requirements, find associated datasets, and satisfy data governance and retention policies.
- Data Protection: HDFS and HBase now support snapshots to help prevent data loss.
- NFS-based Data and Application Access: Easily integrate Cloudera Enterprise with data in and applications running on existing filesystems with native support for NFSv3.
"Over the last five years, we have worked closely with enterprises around the world to help them capture the value in the data they have. Resoundingly, they have asked for a more secure, more reliable real-time data platform that streamlines their existing architectures and speeds up time to insight," said Mike Olson, chairman and chief strategy officer, Cloudera. "The market has spoken and we are listening. The new capabilities introduced in Cloudera Enterprise 5 deliver the industry's first enterprise data hub."
Product Availability and Documentation
Public beta releases of Cloudera Enterprise 5 and CDH 5 are now available. To learn more about Cloudera Enterprise 5, visit http://cloudera.com/CE5. To learn more about CDH 5, or to download it for free, visit http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/products/cdh.html.
The Cloudera Enterprise Data Hub is available today on Cloudera Enterprise 4.
This information is not a commitment, promise or legal obligation to deliver any material, code, or functionality. Cloudera does not guarantee that the beta software will be made generally available or that any individual feature in the beta version will be made generally available. Cloudera may make the beta software generally available, or not, in its sole discretion and without obligation to make any communication of any kind with regard to such availability.
Cloudera is revolutionizing enterprise data management by offering the first unified Platform for big data, an enterprise data hub built on Apache Hadoop. Cloudera offers enterprises one place to store, access, process, secure, and analyze all their data, empowering them to extend the value of existing investments while enabling fundamental new ways to derive value from their data. Cloudera's open source big data platform is the most widely adopted in the world, and Cloudera is the most prolific contributor to the open source Hadoop ecosystem. As the leading educator of Hadoop professionals, Cloudera has trained over 40,000 individuals worldwide. Over 1,700 partners and a seasoned professional services team help deliver greater time to value. Leading organizations in every industry plus top public sector organizations globally run Cloudera in production.
Connect With Cloudera
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/cloudera
Visit us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cloudera
Join the Cloudera Community: http://cloudera.com/community
Cloudera, Cloudera's Platform for Big Data, Cloudera Enterprise Data Hub Edition, Cloudera Enterprise Flex Edition, Cloudera Enterprise Basic Editionand CDH are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cloudera Inc. in the United States, and in jurisdictions throughout the world. All other company and product names may be trade names or trademarks of their respective owners.