How a classic tech category has evolved and triumphed
The pressure to leverage data as a business asset is stronger than ever. Recent advances in storage costs and compute scalability issues, especially in the cloud, have addressed the most important challenges previously faced by data warehouse platforms. In this Giga OM report, discover today’s data warehouse landscape in the context of where the technology has been, where it is, and where it is going.
- The data warehouse is alive and well, perhaps enjoying its biggest popularity wave to date
- Open source technology challengers addressed issues of storage costs and horizontal scalability but did not achieve parity in terms of enterprise skill-set abundance, interactive query performance, or acting as authoritative data repositories
- The advent of the cloud has helped DW platforms transcend their vulnerabilities
- Transcending their vulnerabilities and satisfying customers’ need for familiar SQL-relational platform paradigms has turned out to be a one-two punch for DWs
- Customers need to bring themselves up-to-date on the latest DW innovations and product categories
- Customers must correlate DW product categories with corporate cloud strategy