Cox Automotive is bringing together data from its 20 brands, including AutoTrader.com and Kelley Blue Book, to gain new insights across the automotive lifecycle and introduce new products and services that wouldn’t be possible otherwise.
Cox Automotive is a leading provider of products and services for automotive dealers and car buyers. The company unites 20 brands, including AutoTrader.com, Kelley Blue Book, Manheim, NextGear Capital, and vAuto, to help transform the way people buy and sell cars. As Cox Automotive was formed, executives sought to implement an enterprise data strategy that would enable the company to deliver new customer experiences using rich automotive data from across its brands.
When the 20 brands came together, it was not possible to bring all the data together in the traditional environments such as Netezza or SQL Server.
Today, the company has adopted a Cloudera enterprise data hub (EDH) strategy totaling more than 1 petabyte (PB) of data and incorporating 200 million rows of data daily.
Impact: Lower TCO, Real-Time Insights, Improved Inventory Management
With Cloudera, the team reduced the total cost of ownership of its data environment by about 50 percent per terabyte (TB). But the real value they see is from new products and capabilities. The new EDHs are helping the company provide auto dealers with new insight to help them better manage their inventory, with a broad view to industry supply and consumer demand.Additionally, using a Spark Streaming application, Cox Automotive is now able to offer real-time updates on how ad campaigns impact searches and other activity on specific vehicles, providing important insights to advertisers.
- Integrate data management of 20 previously separate brands
- Ingest and maintain 200 million rows of data daily
- Provide interactive SQL queries and visualization tools to analysts and real-time data access to executives
- Hadoop Platform: Cloudera Enterprise, Data Hub Edition
- Components in Use:Apache Hive, Apache Hue, Apache Kafka, Apache Spark Streaming, Cloudera Manager, Impala
- Visualization & Analytics Tool: Datameer, Platfora
- Reduces total cost of ownership by 50% per terabyte
- Enables real-time vs. hourly updates on ad influence during the Super Bowl
- Helps dealers optimize inventory management