Bank Mandiri, the largest bank in Indonesia, relies on a Cloudera data warehouse to maintain its competitive edge, facilitating the delivery of a data-driven, personalized customer experience while reducing IT infrastructure costs by 99 percent.
Bank Mandiri is the largest bank in Indonesia and aims to keep it that way--the company aspires to be not just the biggest, but the best bank in Indonesia, with prominence across Southeast Asia as well.
The firm relies on a Cloudera data warehouse to maintain its competitive edge, facilitating the delivery of a data-driven, personalized customer experience while reducing IT infrastructure costs by 99 percent.
With Cloudera Enterprise, Bank Mandiri has shifted its marketing approach from sending broad-base communications to delivering tailored messages to targeted groups of customers. Customers benefit from a better experience with the Bank Mandiri brand and are more likely to respond, which drives higher returns from cross sell and upsell campaigns, new customer acquisition programs, and retention efforts. Meanwhile, the costs to execute campaigns are much lower since each recipient list is smaller and precisely focused.
The Cloudera platform also delivers operational efficiencies to Bank Mandiri, reducing overall TCO of its IT infrastructure.
On its mission to be the best Indonesian bank, Bank Mandiri recognized the need to modernize its infrastructure with more cost-efficient technologies that would facilitate a better customer experience.Its legacy environment was comprised of 27 different systems that were costly and rigid, struggling to ingest unstructured data from sources like social media and prohibiting actionable decisioning based on current, comprehensive information. To save on costs, the bank would only save daily and month-end snapshots of data rather than storing full fidelity data for long periods of time. Performance was also lacking; data preparation alone for management reports took two days to deliver. The company wanted to collect multi-structured data from new sources and store it for longer periods of time, but could not afford to do so in the current environment.
Bank Mandiri’s Cloudera data warehouse empowers targeted marketing campaigns (including cross sell, upsell, acquisition, and product holding) through a variety of communication channels such as the internet, mobile, and interactions with Customer Service. Key factors influencing the specific offers that are delivered to clients include credit card transactions, customer demographics and profile information, and social media data. Risk analysis and churn prevention analytics are also supported by the Cloudera platform.
Two primary reasons drove the bank’s selection of Cloudera:
- Its maturity and reputation in the Southeast Asian market, serving large enterprises including the region’s largest telecommunications firms. With a substantial local community offering best practices and validating Cloudera’s enterprise-readiness and high quality support, Bank Mandiri was confident that it too would be successful with the modern data platform.
- Alignment as a strategic partner rather than as a software vendor, which Cloudera demonstrated through many interactions with Bank Mandiri.
Headquarters: Jakarta, Indonesia
- Modern Data Platform: Cloudera Enterprise
- Workloads: Data Warehouse
- Systems Integrators: Cognizant, Mastersystem Infotama
- Targeted marketing campaigns
- 27 relational databases
- Customer profiles
- Credit card transaction logs
- Social media feeds
- Tailored customer offerings elicit higher conversions for upsell, cross-sell, retention
- 99 percent lower platform TCO
- Data preparation time reduced from two days to 60 minutes
Big Data Scale
- 13 TB