Honors Innovative Uses of CDH Including Faster Time to Value, Cost Savings and Social Impact
PALO ALTO, CA – October 31, 2013: Cloudera, the leader in enterprise analytic data management powered by Apache Hadoop™, today announced the winners of the 2013 Data Impact Awards. The awards recognize and honor innovative use cases for CDH, Cloudera's Distribution Including Apache Hadoop, a significant component of Cloudera’s Platform for Big Data. The winners of the five categories were announced at an awards dinner and ceremony on Monday, 28th October at Strata + Hadoop World, New York.
“The winners of this year’s Data Impact Awards know the importance of deriving value from their data -- these data have the power to transform businesses and change the world,” said Alan Saldich, vice president, Marketing, Cloudera. “We acknowledge the role that each one of these organizations play in leading innovation in their categories and markets to affect business and social advantage.”
Our customers are the leaders and visionaries in their industries around the world; they are asking bigger questions that lead to real insight whether assessing fraud risk, looking for oil deposits in the Gulf of Mexico or saving millions of dollars on data warehouse expansion. They are using Cloudera as the foundation to do it and we are proud to recognize their great work.”
The 2013 Data Impact Award winners are:
Business Impact – AMD
- AMD’s decision to move from a traditional relational database to a system that incorporates CDH4 on servers powered by AMD Opteron processors resulted in orders of magnitude performance improvement, storing more data, with less support, and delivering significant cost savings for the company. Query times were reduced by 300% from the previous system.
Integration with Existing IT – MasterCard
- The company integrated their Hadoop environment with 10 different systems spanning the larger IT ecosystem to augment its enterprise data warehouse and to support all data management for Truaxis, a recent MasterCard acquisition providing loyalty rewards and personalized statement solutions.
Pervasive User Adoption – The Allstate Corporation
- To spur adoption of their universal data archive which resides on CDH, Allstate sent 110 employees to Cloudera University training, which helped to identify power users who’d be able to guide the rest of the organization to use the new system. Hadoop was implemented as a complementary platform to legacy systems, and users were given the necessary tools to help them access data in Hadoop, such as Hive and Pig.
Community Contributions - Gravity
- With several Scala engineers in house, the Gravity team decided a couple years ago to use the Scala programming language, not Java, with Hadoop and HBase. Scala doesn’t natively integrate, so the team wrote their own library -- called HPaste -- and contributed it back to the open source community to allow other engineers to take advantage of Scala’s unique features on top of HBase.
Social Impact - Explorys
- Explorys claims the world’s largest clinical data set for reporting, business intelligence, population management, disease prevention and evidence-based treatments. The insight provided by Explorys’ platform after just one year allowed one healthcare provider, the largest health system in Ohio, to significantly improve quality measures relating to cancer screenings, pneumonia vaccinations, tobacco cessation, and diabetes control.
Cloudera is revolutionizing enterprise data management by offering the first unified Platform for big data, an enterprise data hub built on Apache Hadoop. Cloudera offers enterprises one place to store, access, process, secure, and analyze all their data, empowering them to extend the value of existing investments while enabling fundamental new ways to derive value from their data. Cloudera's open source big data platform is the most widely adopted in the world, and Cloudera is the most prolific contributor to the open source Hadoop ecosystem. As the leading educator of Hadoop professionals, Cloudera has trained over 40,000 individuals worldwide. Over 1,700 partners and a seasoned professional services team help deliver greater time to value. Leading organizations in every industry plus top public sector organizations globally run Cloudera in production.
Connect With Cloudera
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/cloudera
Visit us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cloudera
Join the Cloudera Community: http://cloudera.com/community
Cloudera, Cloudera's Platform for Big Data, Cloudera Enterprise Data Hub Edition, Cloudera Enterprise Flex Edition, Cloudera Enterprise Basic Editionand CDH are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cloudera Inc. in the United States, and in jurisdictions throughout the world. All other company and product names may be trade names or trademarks of their respective owners.