Working with Cloudera, DISH saved $1 million and improved audience measurement, enabling new and better advertising services that enhance the customer experience.
DISH provides pay television to approximately 13.596 million subscribers throughout the US as of June 30, 2016.
Audience measurement is critical for supporting ad sales and personalizing content recommendations for customers. However, the system the company had been using to process set-top box data could not keep up with the pace of the data growth.
DISH built an enterprise data hub on Cloudera Enterprise that supports several key business use cases. These use cases include audience measurement for advertisers, equipping them to target customers with highly relevant advertising, and audience measurement for DISH’s advanced set-top box, Hopper, to drive content recommendations for subscribers based on content that similar customers have watched.
DISH selected Cloudera for its experience and expertise, the caliber of its people, and the quality and maturity of Cloudera Manager.
Improved audience measurement capabilities have helped DISH provide advertisers more specific, anonymized insight about who views their ads. The company is also able to deliver personalized content recommendations to help improve the customer experience. Additionally, the new platform enabled DISH to save US$1 million compared to other approaches.
Media & Entertainment
- The system DISH had been using to process audience data from set-top boxes could not keep up with the pace of the data growth.
- Apache Hadoop Platform: Cloudera Enterprise, Data Hub Edition
- Apache Hadoop Components: Apache HBase, Apache Hive, Apache Impala, Apache Sentry (incubating), Apache Sqoop, Cloudera Manager, Cloudera Navigator, Cloudera Search, HDFS, Hue, MapReduce
- BI Tool: Tableau
- Data Warehouses: Teradata
- Audience measurement for targeted advertising
- US$1 million in savings vs. alternative options
- Advanced ad targeting serves brands and customers
- Personalized content recommendations improve customer experience