- Q1 revenue up 29% year-over-year
- Q1 subscription revenue up 33% year-over-year
- Net expansion rate of 132%
PALO ALTO, Calif. – June 6, 2018: Cloudera, Inc. (NYSE: CLDR), the modern platform for machine learning and analytics optimized for the cloud, today reported results for its first quarter fiscal 2019, ended April 30, 2018. Total revenue was $102.7 million, an increase of 29% from the first quarter of fiscal 2018. Subscription revenue was $85.9 million, an increase of 33% from the first quarter of fiscal 2018. Subscription revenue represented 84% of total revenue, up from 81% in the first quarter of fiscal 2018.
"The rapidly connecting world is driving every enterprise in every industry to go through a digital transformation in order to remain competitive in this modern era. Data is the foundation of digital transformation. A completely new architecture and set of technologies is required for enterprises to leverage and gain meaningful insight from data," said Tom Reilly, chief executive officer. "To better-position Cloudera for the next evolution of the market -- machine learning, analytics and cloud -- we are focusing our innovation and go-to-market initiatives on these high growth areas and the line of business executives responsible for digital transformation."
GAAP loss from operations for the first quarter of fiscal 2019 was $50.4 million, compared to a GAAP loss from operations of $222.3 million for the first quarter of fiscal 2018. Non-GAAP loss from operations for the first quarter of fiscal 2019 was $24.4 million, compared to a non-GAAP loss from operations of $30.3 million in the year-ago period.
Operating cash flow for the first quarter of fiscal 2019 was $24.4 million compared to operating cash flow of $5.0 million in the first quarter of fiscal 2018.
GAAP net loss per share for the first quarter of fiscal 2019 was $0.35 per share, based on weighted-average shares outstanding of 146.7 million shares, compared to a GAAP net loss per share in the first quarter of fiscal 2018 of $5.78 per share, based on weighted-average shares outstanding of 38.5 million shares. See financial statement tables below for additional information regarding historical and forward-looking stock-based compensation expenses and shares outstanding.
Non-GAAP net loss per share for the first quarter of fiscal 2019 was $0.17 per share, based on non-GAAP weighted-average shares outstanding of 146.7 million shares, compared to non-GAAP net loss per share in the first quarter of fiscal 2018 of $0.27 per share, based on non-GAAP weighted-average shares outstanding of 114.0 million shares.
A reconciliation of GAAP to non-GAAP financial measures has been provided in the financial statement tables included in this press release. An explanation of these measures is also included below under the heading Non‑GAAP Financial Measures.
As of April 30, 2018, the company had total cash, cash equivalents, marketable securities and restricted cash of $486.7 million.
Recent Business and Financial Highlights
- Subscription revenue was up 33% year-over-year to $85.9 million
- Subscription revenue represented 84% of total revenue, up from 81% in the first quarter of fiscal 2018
- Non-GAAP subscription gross margin for the quarter was 85%, up from 84% in the first quarter of fiscal 2018
- Dollar-based net expansion rate was 132% for the quarter
- Non-GAAP operating loss improved more than 14 percentage points compared to the year-ago period
- Introduced Altus with Shared Data Experience (beta), or SDX, the industry’s first machine learning and analytics Platform-as-a-Service that provides and retains business context for shared cloud-based data
- Released Altus Data Engineering for Azure and announced availability of Altus Analytic Database for Azure (beta), powering machine learning on Microsoft Azure
- Announced Cloudera Data Science Workbench 1.4, with new capabilities to build, train, and deploy models in a unified workflow helping data scientists accelerate everyday workflows from research to production
- Announced availability of Cloudera Enterprise 6 (beta), Cloudera’s most powerful platform for machine learning and analytics with significant advances in performance and enterprise quality showcasing innovations in search, streaming, scale and control
- Recognized by customers as a 2018 Gartner Peer Insights Customers’ Choice for the Best Data Management Solutions for Analytics
- Big Data Excellence Awards
- Big Data Technology Provider of the Year
- IoT Infrastructure of the Year (with partners Red Hat and Eurotech)
- Named General Managers to newly formed business units to accelerate innovation and leadership in machine learning, analytics, and cloud
The outlook for the second quarter of fiscal 2019, ending July 31, 2018, is:
- Total revenue in the range of $107 million to $108 million, representing approximately 20% year-over-year growth
- Subscription revenue in the range of $90 million to $91 million, representing approximately 22% year-over-year growth
- Non-GAAP net loss per share in the range of $0.15 to $0.13 per share
- Weighted-average shares outstanding of approximately 150 million shares
- Total revenue in the range of $435 million to $445 million, representing approximately 20% year-over-year growth
- Subscription revenue in the range of $370 million to $375 million, representing approximately 24% year-over-year growth
- Operating cash flow in the range of negative $40 million to $35 million
- Non-GAAP net loss per share in the range of $0.62 to $0.59 per share
- Weighted-average shares outstanding of approximately 152 million shares
Conference Call and Webcast Information
Cloudera is hosting a conference call for analysts and investors to discuss its first quarter fiscal 2019 results and the outlook for its second quarter of fiscal 2019 at 2:00 p.m. Pacific Time today. Participants can listen via webcast by visiting the Investor Relations section of Cloudera’s website. A replay of the webcast will be available for two weeks following the call.
The conference call can also be accessed as follows:
- Participant Toll Free Number: +1-833-231-7247
- Participant International Number: +1-647-689-4091
- Conference ID: 3085608
At Cloudera, we believe that data can make what is impossible today, possible tomorrow. We empower people to transform complex data into clear and actionable insights. We deliver the modern platform for machine learning and analytics optimized for the cloud. The world’s largest enterprises trust Cloudera to help solve their most challenging business problems. Learn more at www.cloudera.com.
Connect With Cloudera
Learn more about Cloudera: https://www.cloudera.com/about.html
Read our blog: https://blog.cloudera.com
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/cloudera
Get updates on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/cloudera
Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cloudera
See us on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@ClouderaInc
Join the Cloudera Community: https://community.cloudera.com
Read about our customers' successes: https://www.cloudera.com/about/customers.html
Cloudera and associated marks are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cloudera, Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Statements in this press release that are not historical in nature are forward-looking statements that, within the meaning of the federal securities laws including the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, involve known and unknown risks and uncertainties. Words such as "may", "will", "expect", "intend", "plan", "believe", "seek", "could", "estimate", "judgment", "targeting", "should", "anticipate", "goal" and variations of these words and similar expressions, are also intended to identify forward-looking statements. The forward-looking statements in this press release address a variety of subjects, including our belief that the enterprise machine learning and analytics market will quickly emerge and that we will continue to lead its direction through technology and product innovation, our expectation that we will continue our momentum in machine learning, analytics and the cloud, and our “Business Outlook” for our second quarter of fiscal 2019. Readers are cautioned that actual results could differ materially from those implied by such forward-looking statements due to a variety of factors, including global economic conditions, competitive pressures and pricing declines, intellectual property infringement claims, and other risks or uncertainties that are described under the caption “Risk Factors” in our Annual Report on Form 10-K, filed on April 4, 2018, and in our other SEC filings. Although we believe the expectations reflected in such forward-looking statements are based upon reasonable assumptions, we can give no assurances that our expectations will be attained. We undertake no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
Non-GAAP Financial Measures
We report all financial information required in accordance with U.S. generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). To supplement our unaudited condensed consolidated financial statements presented in accordance with GAAP, we use certain non-GAAP measures of financial performance. The presentation of these non-GAAP financial measures is not intended to be considered in isolation from, as a substitute for, or superior to, the financial information prepared and presented in accordance with GAAP, and may be different from non-GAAP financial measures used by other companies. In addition, these non-GAAP measures have limitations in that they do not reflect all of the amounts associated with the results of our operations as determined in accordance with GAAP. The non-GAAP financial measures used by us include non-GAAP subscription gross margins, non-GAAP loss from operations, non-GAAP net loss, non-GAAP operating loss margin, and historical and forward-looking non-GAAP net loss per share. These non-GAAP financial measures exclude stock-based compensation, acquisition- and disposition-related expenses (if any), and amortization of acquired intangible assets from the Cloudera unaudited condensed consolidated statement of operations. In addition, we use non-GAAP weighted-average shares outstanding to calculate non-GAAP net loss per share. This non-GAAP measure includes the assumed conversion of all outstanding shares of preferred stock to common stock and the impact of anti-dilutive restricted stock units and stock options outstanding, on a weighted basis.
For a description of these items, including the reasons why management adjusts for them, and reconciliations of historical non-GAAP financial measures to the most directly comparable GAAP financial measures, please see the section of the accompanying tables titled “Use of Non-GAAP Financial Information” as well as the related tables that precede it. We may consider whether other significant non-recurring items that arise in the future should also be excluded in calculating the non-GAAP financial measures we use.
We believe that these non-GAAP financial measures, when taken together with the corresponding GAAP financial measures, provide meaningful supplemental information regarding our performance by excluding certain items that may not be indicative of our core business, operating results or future outlook. Management uses, and believes that investors benefit from referring to, these non-GAAP financial measures in assessing our operating results, as well as when planning, forecasting and analyzing future periods. We use these non‑GAAP financial measures in conjunction with traditional GAAP measures to communicate with our board of directors concerning our financial performance. These non-GAAP financial measures also facilitate comparisons of our performance to prior periods.
About Gartner Peer Insights
Gartner Peer Insights Customers' Choice distinctions are determined by the subjective opinions of individual end-user customers based on their own experiences, the number of published reviews on Gartner Peer Insights and overall ratings for a given vendor in the market, as further described here, and are not intended in any way to represent the views of Gartner or its affiliates.