Latest Advancements Empower Enterprises to Easily Start, Grow and Operate Their Apache Hadoop Deployments with New Management and Monitoring Tools and “One-click” Security
Palo Alto, CA – June 29, 2011 – Cloudera Inc., the leading provider of Apache Hadoop-based data management software and services, continues to drive enterprise adoption of Apache Hadoop with new software that makes it simpler than ever to run and manage Hadoop throughout the entire operational lifecycle of a system. The company today announced the immediate availability of Cloudera Enterprise 3.5, a substantial update that includes new automated service, configuration and monitoring tools and one-click security for Hadoop clusters. Cloudera Enterprise is a subscription service that includes a management suite plus production support for Apache Hadoop and the rest of the Hadoop ecosystem. Concurrently, the company also announced the launch of Cloudera SCM Express, which is based on the new Service and Configuration Manager in Cloudera Enterprise 3.5, making it fast and easy for anyone to install and configure a complete Apache Hadoop-based stack.
“As interest in Hadoop expands from early adopters to mainstream enterprise and government users, we are increasingly seeing the focus shift from development and testing to understanding potential use cases for the core distribution to the value-added tools and services that will enable and accelerate enterprise adoption,” said Matt Aslett, senior analyst at The 451 Group. “Cloudera has gained an enviable position at the center of the expanding Hadoop ecosystem, and we continue to be impressed with both its commercial product plans and engagement with the open source community.”
Cloudera Enterprise 3.5: Full Lifecycle Management of Apache Hadoop Deployments
Cloudera Enterprise 3.5, a subscription service comprised of Cloudera Support and a portfolio of software in the Cloudera Management Suite, is a major enabler for the enterprise adoption and production use of Apache Hadoop. For the first time, enterprises can manage the complete operational lifecycle of their Apache Hadoop systems because Cloudera Enterprise 3.5 facilitates deep visibility into Hadoop clusters and automates the ongoing system changes needed to maintain and improve the quality of operations.
“We have seen extensive adoption of Apache Hadoop across our client base, but the management challenges of running the Hadoop stack in production can be prohibitive,” said Matt Dailey, Hadoop applications developer for the High Performance Computing Center at SRA International, Inc. “This latest release of Cloudera’s Management Suite goes a long way to giving enterprises the confidence to operate a Hadoop system in production.”
New in Cloudera Enterprise 3.5
- Service and Configuration Manager (SCM) radically simplifies the deployment and management of a range of Hadoop services available in Cloudera’s Distribution including Apache Hadoop (CDH). Users can now easily get, install and configure Apache Hadoop in minutes from a central dashboard and continue to make configuration updates while the system is running. Developed from Cloudera’s many years of experience with enterprise Hadoop systems in production, SCM automates best practices for several Hadoop operations and includes a library of validations that prevent misconfiguration. It also automates tedious manual administrative processes to save time and reduce errors. For example, SCM automates the enablement of Hadoop security for a multi-node cluster in just one click.
- Activity Monitor provides a deep, real-time view into Hadoop systems. The Activity Monitor is the only tool on the market today that consolidates all user activities (MapReduce, Pig, Hive, Streaming, Oozie) into a single, real-time view of what is happening across a Hadoop cluster at both a macro and micro level. With Activity Monitor, not only can administrators monitor their entire Hadoop infrastructure, they can also intervene, since it provides the granular intelligence required to enact the proper changes via SCM. Moreover, a built-in historical view of Hadoop jobs enables administrators to compare current activities to the past to gauge aspects like speed, efficiency and health of the system.
- Enhancements to Resource Manager and Authorization Manager.Continuing its leadership in helping organizations to run multi-tenant Hadoop clusters, Cloudera has enhanced both the Resource Manager and Authorization Manager modules, enabling organizations to track historical usage of disk space, automate the administration of ACLs and better synchronize with their existing LDAP systems.
SCM Express: Deploy an Integrated Apache Hadoop Stack in Minutes
SCM Express takes the complexity out of deploying, configuring and managing a range of Apache Hadoop services available in Cloudera’s Distribution Including Apache Hadoop (CDH). SCM Express is available to download for free and makes it easy for anyone to start up and operate a complete Apache Hadoop cluster up to 50 nodes. The software automates installation and configuration, reducing deployment time from weeks to minutes, and provides cluster-wide, real-time views of nodes and services from a single, centralized console.
“There’s a lot of talk in the industry about making Apache Hadoop deployments easier, however Cloudera’s approach encompasses the entire lifespan of systems, not just the initial setup. Workloads shift, teams change and the types of questions you want to ask change over time. You should be able to easily manage your systems while your usage of Hadoop evolves and grows,” said Mike Olson, CEO of Cloudera. “Cloudera helps enterprises plan for the inevitable changes. This is a long-term platform—we help you get started, then operate and grow or sunset pieces of the cluster over time. With the release of Cloudera Enterprise 3.5, we are not only introducing new levels of transparency and automation, but we’re injecting best practices Cloudera has learned over many years of helping enterprise customers build and manage Apache Hadoop-based systems.”
How to Get Cloudera SCM Express and Cloudera Enterprise 3.5
- Cloudera SCM Express is available to download for free at:
- For more information about Cloudera Enterprise 3.5, visit:
Cloudera is revolutionizing enterprise data management by offering the first unified Platform for big data, an enterprise data hub built on Apache Hadoop. Cloudera offers enterprises one place to store, access, process, secure, and analyze all their data, empowering them to extend the value of existing investments while enabling fundamental new ways to derive value from their data. Cloudera's open source big data platform is the most widely adopted in the world, and Cloudera is the most prolific contributor to the open source Hadoop ecosystem. As the leading educator of Hadoop professionals, Cloudera has trained over 40,000 individuals worldwide. Over 1,700 partners and a seasoned professional services team help deliver greater time to value. Leading organizations in every industry plus top public sector organizations globally run Cloudera in production.
Connect With Cloudera
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/cloudera
Visit us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cloudera
Join the Cloudera Community: http://cloudera.com/community
Cloudera, Cloudera's Platform for Big Data, Cloudera Enterprise Data Hub Edition, Cloudera Enterprise Flex Edition, Cloudera Enterprise Basic Editionand CDH are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cloudera Inc. in the United States, and in jurisdictions throughout the world. All other company and product names may be trade names or trademarks of their respective owners.